27.5.26 Roses finally pruned
So, I pruned my roses in test field, I must say, this year it was even worse. Many rambles pruned down to the ground. (frost damage).
These roses were more or less ok:
– Ännchen von Tharau
– Erinnerung an Brod
– Perennial Blue
– Perfume Dreams
– Guirlande d Amore
– Christine Helene
– R. multiflora
Terrible frost damage (pruned almost back to the graft, so all building–up growth was lost):
– Geschwinds Schönste
– Thor
– New Dreams
– Blushing Bride / Scarman
– Pink Prosperity
– Pierre de Ronsard (never gets above 50 cm height, never seen a single bloom since 3 years)
– Ali Baba
– Dentelle De Malines
– The Pilgrim
– Perennial Domino
– Alaska
– Autumn Fire
– Vanguard
– Purple Skyliner
Medium size shrubs, floribundas, tea hybrids – all are ok, but pruned very very hard. This is how I usually do it, so no surprise here.
Protection I use for winter:
about 40–45 cm new soil, piled upon the plant and about 5–6 fir branches on the top, covering the soil pile completely.
—————-
Of my own seedlings:
These were very good: Penny Lane x Forstmeisters Heim, Claire Marshall x Seven Sisters, Penny Lane x Unknown White Rambler, and one of two seedlings from Paco Rabanne x Prairie Peace. Another one of these two had a half of the bush totally dried out, I am afraid it wasn’t even frost, but something else, maybe Agrilus? Though I couldn’t find anything on it. The rest of the bush was totally normal and not frozen. Also one of Ashley x General Stefanik hybrids was more or less ok.
Unfortunately, many of seedlings where I used William Lobb as a pollen parent had a lot of freeze damage, and in combination with a once-blooming feature, they must be no use in my conditions. So, after years of testing (and never seeing the flowers) they will have to go.
Here is a totally frozen branch of one of them:

Comments
Post a Comment